Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Honoring Loved Ones Lost: Acknowledge their Spirit Living on in You




Honoring the Best of Times 

My mother was the original Rumba Girl--dancing, laughing and flirting her way through life. When this rumba dancing image emerged from deep inside me I knew it was my mother speaking to me and egging me on. 

I could hear her head-back laughing at my delight in bringing the image forth--remembering that day I came home with Nicolette Larson's song 'Rhumba Girl' to play and dance for her in the kitchen after getting engaged. 

My mother was a fun-loving woman who laughed through life. She was the ultimate role model who showed me and my five siblings how to handle life gracefully--with ease and laughter--despite the hardships, losses, hurts and pains. She showed us how to flirt with people and life.  She loved it when we shared our sassy, flirtatious side with her.  I miss her but her spirit lives on deep within me. 


You're still there making me laugh

Who are you Missing or Grieving? 

Whose memory would you benefit from honoring? How does their spirit live on inside you? How have they made your life better? How have they challenged you to be a better person and live a better life? 

Find those stories about your loved ones who've passed that make you smile and laugh. Share their touching stories with others and sit with the good times for awhile to feel their presence. Know they are still sitting alongside you surrounding you with love.

I'm still here making You Proud

Honor the Circle of Life

Everything starts somewhere, and I started as an egg in my mother's womb. How often has this truly amazing start in life crept into my awareness?  Why is it this miracle of creation slips from our consciousness as soon as we slip into the world? Perhaps because it is too big to grasp. 

It is the same for holding on to the miracle of how our loved ones who pass on can remain with us if we honor them by remembering our favorite stories instead of just grieving our loss.

I may have begun a seed growing in my mother's body, but her spirit lives on in mine, enveloping me with everything that is good. I honor her by living my life in a way that makes her proud and sharing the stories that honor her life.



'A mother, after all, is your entry into the world. She is the shell in which you divide and become a life. Waking up in a world without her is like waking up in a world without sky: unimaginable.' 
Meghan O'Rourke 

Listen to Nicolette Larson-Rhumba Girl.


Sending You the Bluebird of Happiness

Bluebird as a Symbol of Happiness 

'The symbol of a bluebird as the harbinger of happiness is found in many cultures and may date back thousands of years.

One of the oldest examples (found on oracle bone inscriptions of the Shang Dynasty, 1766-1122 BC) is from pre-modern China, where a blue bird (qingniao) was the messenger bird of Xi Wangmu, the 'Queen Mother of the West' who began life as a fearsome goddess and Immortal.  

By the Tang Dynasty (618-906 AD) she had evolved into a Daoist fairy queen and the protector/patron of "singing girls, dead women, novices, nuns, adepts and priestesses...women who stood outside the roles prescribed for women in the traditional Chinese family". '

Wikipedia

Sign Up for Free E-mail updates

For more than 35 years, Susan Meyerott has been helping people lighten up and step over invisible barriers to change one step at a time. She speaks to your heart, puts you at ease, and makes letting go and moving forward with life easier than ever before.


Do you know someone who could benefit from uplifting messages? Please share Lightarted Living with them. If you or someone you love is interested in learning more about closing the gap between where you are now and where you want to be, join the FREE Lightarted Living mailing list. 

2 comments:

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Sue, your mother sounds like someone who would have gotten on well with MY mother! Every time I get involved in some complicated situation that turns hilarious, I think of my mother and some of our crazy "Lucy and Ethel" adventures!

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Ah, Jean--there is another connection for us! We used to think of my mother and her best friend, Gladys, as Lucy and Ethel for the shenanigans they'd get into. Fun! Great memories. I like to think my mother has been in charge of 'orientation', welcoming all new fun-loving people to the other side. Thanks for sharing!