Saturday, October 15, 2016

Ralph Waldo Emerson: The Only Way Out of Our Darkest Moments


'Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.'      
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Finding Our Way in Difficult Times
We all face difficult times throughout life--and who among us wants to stay stuck in the dark days any longer than we have to? We all long to discover that deep inner strength and indomitable spirit we possess to help us find our way out. 

We can learn a lot from Ralph Waldo Emerson's sage outlook on living from that place of strength and courage. What does he have to show us about how can we can enjoy a better life-- experiencing more good times than bad--and getting out of the depths of despair sooner? 

Emerson said no matter what the problem you're dealing with, keep your focus on your dreams, not your problems.

The Only Way Out of Our Darkest Moments
Sometimes in the overwhelming challenge of trying to recover from devastating losses or illnesses you can be left feeling discouraged, hopeless and isolated. Looking through the lens of defeat and loss, life can begin to feel flat and meaningless.
The key to pulling out of the darkness is to change the filter you look through to gain a fresh perspective. Or as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, 'Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.'

When you're dispirited and feeling low it may feel like an impossible task to change your perspective. You don't exactly feel perky and positive. Yet, changing your focus from your problems and the seemingly insurmountable obstacles you face to putting the focus back on creating a life based on your dreams and aspirations IS the only way out.



I Know it Hurts--Just Push into the Pain

When I was in labor with my first child I failed to dilate fully so my doctor manually stretched me during the contractions that occurred one minute apart. This was the most painful and seemingly never ending process I've ever experienced. I could barely remain conscious the pain was so excruciating.

With contractions coming every minute, I would fall into a deep sleep for 45 seconds before the contractions would wake me up and the unbearable pain would start all over. As the doctor stretched me (60 times an hour) he kept saying 'I know it hurts, just push into the pain'. It took all my resolve not to kick him in the groin and tell him 'YOU push into the pain!'

But even in my darkest moment somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind I knew when I eventually got out of what turned out to be 24 hours of hard labor, that comment, 'I know it hurts, just push into the pain', would become a metaphor for my life.


It is one of the beautiful compensations in this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.   Ralph Waldo Emerson

If Pain is the Teacher, What's the Lesson?

Birthing a new life--literally or figuratively has it's painful moments--but when you push into the pain and stay focused on your dreams you move through it to gain a new life. It isn't always pleasant or easy but when you achieve a dream it's worth it in the end.


There is no way to avoid or go around the painful part of life on our way to achieving our dreams. No one 'has it easy'. But if each day we keep our eyes on the goal, instead of the obstacles, we allow ourselves to be led by our dreams instead of pushed by our problems, making it easier to endure the difficulties along the way. 



What are the Darkest Moments you've Recently or are Currently Facing? 

  • Breakup of a relationship, family or home;
  • Loss of job or income;
  • Loss of home in a disaster;
  • Loss of freedom--incarceration;
  • Loss of a loved one;
  • Loss of innocence--dealing with abuse issues;
  • Loss of health--you or loved one dealing with a serious illness or injury.



Are You Ready to Refresh Your Life? 

Discover the switch to bring forth the deep inner strength and indomitable spirit you possess to find your way out of your current difficulties. Practice flipping the switch daily from focusing on your problems to focusing on your dreams.

3 Questions to Reset Your Outlook Daily
  • Where do I feel pushed by my problems? 
  • If I were led by my dreams what would I do differently? 
  • If I had all the time and money in the world, what would I do with my life NOW? 


'The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.'    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sign Up for Free E-mail updates

Susan J Meyerott loves helping people become more fully themselves, particularly those working through anxiety, life and career transitions, relationships, and self-esteem issues. She provides a nonjudgmental, growth-oriented environment for you to become the person you’re meant to be—while appreciating the richness of who you already are. Learn more at Lightarted Living Blog

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful :-)

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

As are you, Susan Yeagley! Hugs

Unknown said...

Agreed- beautiful- thank you Susan

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Good to hear from you Molly girl! And as I said to Susan Y...beautiful like you!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Sue, thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom as well as these marvelous Emerson quotes I've never heard.

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Jean, knowing how you love 'the Emerson' I am pleased I could introduce you to new ones unfamiliar to you. I find the ones I am unfamiliar with are often the ones that show me new truths.

Cynthia kendall said...

Cynthia, Susan great message!

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Cynthia--good to hear from you! Hope you have survived all the weather out your way! Hugs