Thursday, July 28, 2011

Celebrate Your Successes with Child-like Enthusiasm

Upside Down and Backwards makes me feel Clever as Clever!

Look closely at the image above. What do you see? That's right-- upside down and backwards words! And that's why I'm feeling childishly clever as clever! I figured out how to create an envelope template so the words on the back of the envelope would be upright. It's downright inspiring!

Adults--Kids in Big Bodies

At our adult core, we're just kids in big bodies. Behind our eyes lies our innocent emotionally-tender selves. When we're hurt by others, we can return to feeling like the adolescent on the playground, and when we successfully overcome obstacles we can experience child-like joy and self-satisfaction.

I admit it--I am spatially inept--and also easily amused with myself when I figure out how to make something work spatially.

Multiple Intelligences--We can be Good at Some Things and not so Good at Others

Thirty years ago, Howard Gardner, a Professor at Harvard University introduced the theory of multiple intelligences that included different brain centers for linguistic, musical, logical-mathematical, bodily-kinesthetic, intra-personal, inter-personal, and visual-spatial intelligence.

My weakest intelligence is the visual-spatial. I still have difficulty with laterality--knowing my right from my left. So try as I might, I just can't visualize in my head how things relate in space.

But I've learned a little trick. If I stop trying to figure it out consciously, and simply trust there's a simple way to do it, I'll see it and figure it out. Ultimately this leaves me feeling very smart indeed--returning me to that inner child to revel in my serendipitous success with unself-conscious, child-like joy.

Our Weaknesses Are Our Strengths--Got to Love Them!

I learned long ago my weaknesses are my greatest assets. The very things I struggle with are the same things that make me a good teacher, facilitator, writer, and artist--as well as a good mother, spouse and friend. I know if I struggle with something, other people do too. And if I can figure out how to deal with my weakness, I can turn around and help someone else who is struggling.

What are your weaknesses? What is difficult for you to do or accomplish? Don't hide your less-than-perfect abilities or characteristics. Look outside yourself to see how many other people could benefit from you turning your weakness into a strength, and sharing your success.

Overcoming weaknesses is exhilarating! Allow yourself to bask in your own child-like joy and self-satisfaction when you figure out how to do the thing that is difficult for you to do. Then share your self-satisfaction with others and let them see that smile on your face. A life of mastering obstacles is a life of unbridled joy.

Celebrate Your Successes from Six to Sixty

It was Christopher Robin in A.A. Milne's poem, 'Now We Are Six' who celebrates his cleverness at six who exclaims, "I'm as clever as clever."

Re-ignite your child-like enthusiasm and belief in your abilities-- no matter your age.  Stop to celebrate your successes with unbridled joy and acknowledge you are clever as clever as often as possible.

With many thanks to A.A. Milne for his clever as clever poem, I offer a life-extension to his  age of cleverness, and  encourage you to celebrate your cleverness at each and every age. Stop and celebrate how clever you are throughout your lifetime.

Now We Are Sixty

When I was ten,
I had just begun.
When I was twenty-two,
I was nearly new.
When I was thirty-three,
I was hardly me.
When I was forty-four,
I was not much more.
When I was fifty-five,
I was just alive.
But now I am almost sixty,
I'm as clever as clever.
I think I'll stay sixty
for ever and ever.

....With thanks to A.A. Milne for letting us be clever as clever from six to sixty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am imaging how clever I will feel when I actually get the hang of responding! I thought I responded to this blog yesterday and obviously I didn't. So now you know one of my many weaknesses. And given all of my weaknesses it seems as if I should be feeling more child-like joy :) lov tmr

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

My dearest TMR---You ARE clever as clever....and I think you'll stay clever for ever and ever. You are still one of the best and cleverest poets I know. Thanks for being so clever to figure out how to leave a comment! Whoo Hoo!