Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Love One Another Now~Swiftly Flow the Years

 


Sunrise, Sunset




Sunrise, Sunset




Swiftly flow the years.



One season following another


Bringing happiness and tears.

'Sunrise, Sunset' from Fiddler on the Roof


Swiftly Flow the Years

"The work of the mature person is to carry grief in one hand 

and gratitude in the other and to be stretched large by them. 


How much sorrow can I hold? That’s how much gratitude I can give. 

If I carry only grief, I’ll bend toward cynicism and despair. 

If I have only gratitude, I’ll become saccharine 

and won’t develop much compassion for other people’s suffering. 


Grief keeps the heart fluid and soft, 

which helps make compassion possible."

 Francis Weller



Life is filled with ups and downs, bringing both happiness and tears. No one gets through life without experiencing their fair share of difficulties, hurts, and hard times.

Life IS short, and the years flow swiftly by. Why waste time nursing old hurts, going it alone, or keeping yourself separate from others in your grief? Isolation only serves to amplify your pain and suffering. 

As Frances Weller notes, learn to carry your grief in one hand and gratitude in the other, and allow yourself to be stretched large by them. Heal those hurts. Share your grief. Make amends. Love one another now. Swiftly flow the years.



What hurts are you carrying around? What grief are you dealing with? What has you hiding from others, keeping you separate and apart?  How can you learn to carry your grief in one hand and gratitude in the other, and allow yourself to be stretched large by them?




2 comments:

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

This is a masterpiece, Susan. I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm so glad I finally made it! I have no words. Pinning and tweeting, of course.

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Jean, I've been touched by loss and illness of people around me. And I long for the world to heal of division and separateness. There is no time like the present to let others know you love and care about them.