Sunday, January 6, 2019

Dogs Make Us Want to be Better Humans


Dogs Soften Our Hearts

💓Hannah the Elbow Nudger 💓
A Kindred Spirit with a Soft Heart and a Buttery Soul

Let the Magic Begin~Again



'Hannah the Gentle' slipped into our lives last January. After losing Arrow, our 14 year old dog the end of the previous year, we planned on waiting a year before getting another dog. 

But plans are for changing--and Hannah showed up to grace our lives and work her magic. She softened our hearts and made it easier to open our hearts and home to another dog sooner than scheduled.
When I first met Hannah at the insistence of Bev, a volunteer at the Jackson County Animal Shelter, she had just been adopted. I talked to Hannah at the kennel door, wishing her well in her new home. I whispered to her that she was just what I was looking for, and if things didn't work out I'd be happy to give her a home.

As luck would have it the following week I got a call from the Shelter Manager asking me if I was wanting to foster or was I just looking to find a new dog after the loss of my other one. Neither, I said. I was just staying open. 

"But having said that...I did see a dog who was already adopted--Hannah--who was just what I was looking for."

Two hours later she called back to say, "It's your lucky day. Hannah has just been returned." 

I really didn't care why she was returned, I knew she had found a way to make it back to me! And I knew luck had nothing to do with it...it was sheer magic!

For such a soft and gentle girl, turns out she had one hard and fast rule--we must walk daily. Oh she starts the negotiation for walk time softly enough with a gentle nudge of the elbow. But soon enough she's much more insistent with the nudges until she gets down right silly to get my attention to say 'It's time to play!' So what can I do but put my shoes on and obey. This is a dog who knows the proper way to greet the day--outside and grateful to be alive.



Dogs Make Life Calmer

Many Moons Ago
In a Far off Place
Lived a Handsome Prince
With a Regal Face

Meet Otter. He is king of the road in oh so many ways--a prince of a dog. 

Otter, a rescue dog, magically appeared in my brother and sis-in-law's life fully grown. They really don't know how old he is, but he's well up there in years. 

As Otter's nearing his time to move on to the great hunting place in the sky, his humans have begun to grieve and ready themselves for what none of us can truly prepare for--parting with their dear old comfortable friend who has helped them transition through many life changes.

Otter has traveled on the road with his parents, calmly greeting new areas with the same regal presence he always maintains. And he's guided his humans through two moves and showed them how to greet a new abode with grace and gratitude. 

At the end of the day, Otter has been the model of calmness, and has shown his humans that life is to be enjoyed, not feared, one day at a time.







Dogs Show Us We Belong and We're Loved

No matter where you go or who you're with, dogs want to be with you. They'll sit quietly by your side if you're feeling low and keep you company through thick and thin. Through their unconditional love and gratitude for our presence, we perk up and desire to become the human our dogs thinks we are.

"Dogs never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation."
Jerome K. Jerome
"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." 
Gilda Radner


Dogs Don't Care How Many Silly Nicknames We Give Them



The better part of our humanness is often uncovered in our silliness. In silliness we leave behind our tendency to be critical of self and others, and our worries about the future. 

Dogs have a way of bringing out unbridled silliness in us. There is nothing better for our spirits than full-throated laughter and silliness brought on by watching or engaging in dog play. 

Want to be a better human? Engage in silly play with a dog at least once a day.



Dogs Show Us 'It is Good to Play'

Dogs show us 'it is good to play' and they show us it is good to relax after playing. For dogs there are two states of being in life--playing and relaxing--with eating and loving in between.

Want to be a better human? Practice living like your dog--play, relax, eat and love.


"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." 
Edward Hoagland 




Dogs Know Who You Are and Accept You Exactly As You Are

Dogs don't judge you (even if they make judgments for you about other people or animals). They enjoy the show and just want to be with you to see it all. 

Want to be a better human? Have a heart to heart with your dog once a day. They'll never steer you wrong with their advice.

"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!' " 
Dave Barry



Dogs Show Us How to Live in the Moment

Come on dog! Quit lolly-gagging.
Nothing's out there! Nothing to see here.
Why must you stop and stare?


Come human! Don't you see? Don't you see?
Wonders as far as the nose can smell and the eyes can see.



Dogs Show us How to Give in to Love

Let Your Heart Melt



Sign Up for Free E-mail updates
                          
For more than 35 years, Susan Meyerott has been helping people lighten up and step over invisible barriers to change one step at a time. She speaks to your heart, puts you at ease, and makes letting go and moving forward with life easier than ever before.

Do you know someone who could benefit from uplifting messages? Please share Lightarted Living with them. If you or someone you love is interested in learning more about closing the gap between where you are now and where you want to be, join the FREE Lightarted Living mailing list. 


2 comments:

Stephanie Raffelock said...

This was such a gift to get in my in-box this morning. Of course, I've been blessed to know Hannah, and she is a gem of a dog. Jeter enjoyed getting to play with Hannah and I think he brought out her "empowered canine" side. Those were some good times on the ditch trail, the best of which is this: totally because of our dogs, you and I met!

A special post, Susan and special pictures that made me think of the Oregon good times. Jeter, Dean and I send you love and goodwill from Texas and we all send love and goodwill to Hannah, the wonder dog.

Thanks for a delightful read!

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Thanks for checking in Stephanie! I think fondly of our meeting on the trail through our dogs. And Yes, it was because Dean insisted that she be let off leash that we discovered just how much she likes to play with other great dogs like Jeter! Give Jeter a kiss on the nose for me. I continue to enjoy your musings on Texas life...just wish I could enjoy you in person!