Friday, March 23, 2018

Rid Your Life of Drama and Emotional Clutter

Let Go
Being a person who values freedom, I’ve been working on letting go of things that clutter my mind and attention.

When I first considered what I held on to that created chaos and distress in my life, a clear pattern started emerging: 
If I want to lead my life through my naturally calm and joyous spirit I'd gain the most benefit by focusing my attention on letting go of other people’s drama.

So I started the practice of letting other's drama slip past me without allowing it to get a toe-hold from the get-go.  This is a very freeing experience. 
Below are 3 simple things I've done to minimize the effect other's drama has on my joyful spirit. 
By keeping it simple and staying conscious of what I allow in, I'm finding it easier to move past drama each time it erupts. 

Walk Away from Drama and its Creators ~
Surround Yourself with People who make you Laugh
By Marie Forleo
“There comes a time in your life, when you walk away
From all the drama and people who create it.
You surround yourself with people who make you laugh.
Forget the bad and focus on the good.
Love the people who treat you well, pray for the ones who don't.
Life is too short to be anything but happy.
Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living.” 

1. Consciously Acknowledge What You Want and What You Don't Want


Sit, Rest, Work--Alone with Yourself--Joyfully

It's not always easy to ‘sit, rest, and work--alone with yourself’ without letting the producers of drama splatter you with their over the top display of ill will and chaos. 
By consciously choosing to let the drama slide off you, you can better direct negativity away from you. 
Choose to stay focused on what you want--to live joyfully without drama. When drama appears--consciously acknowledge its presence and actively choose to walk away from it and its creators. 


2. Look through the Wrong End of a Telescope 

When in the middle of someone else's drama, view the situation as if you were looking at it through the wrong end of a telescope to minimize the view. In your mind, put the drama into a balloon and watch it disappear into the horizon.




Thanks to Grant Soosalu for the breathing technique

3. Choose Calm and Uplift

You are the master of your mind and spirit.  When you're surrounded by other people's drama, choose to breathe uplift into your heart and breathe out calmness into your gut. 

If you discover other's drama has crept into your mind long after the event, gently repeat this breathing technique to uplift and calm you to regain your center.


My Heart is at Rest


Sign Up for Free E-mail updates
                          
For more than 35 years, Susan Meyerott has been helping people lighten up and step over invisible barriers to change one step at a time. She speaks to your heart, puts you at ease, and makes letting go and moving forward with life easier than ever before.

Do you know someone who could benefit from uplifting messages? Please share Lightarted Living with them. If you or someone you love is interested in learning more about closing the gap between where you are now and where you want to be, join the FREE Lightarted Living m

2 comments:

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Sue, thank you for this uplifting post. Modern communication bombards us every minute with drama from all over the world. A lot of the people around us get caught up in it. We have to make a conscious effort to stay apart from it and away from the drama queens (and kings). When a Negative Nelly starts recounting a string of tragedies, I say "I'm sorry, these things affect me too deeply. Let's talk about happy things."

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Boy do I hear you, Jean! It is especially important today to protect ourselves from the enormous flow of drama and emotional clutter. What a treat it is to feel how vast the calm and peace is around us when we take charge of what we let into our inner world. Ahhhhhhh.