Thursday, January 26, 2012

How to Turn Negative Thoughts into Positive Action


"Worrying does not empty today of its troubles, it empties tomorrow of its strength."    Mary Englebreit

The Secret Decoded
Do you ever wake up with doubts, anxiety or insecurities? I do.

It's those little whispers in my brain causing my heart to race and my stomach to flutter until I pause to identify 'what's up'.

Over the years I've learned the secret to befriending these physical messages.
I've developed a more positive interpretation of the role my brain plays in producing the unsettling messages, and this helps me transition faster from reacting fearfully to taking calm, conscious action.

So what's the secret? It's simple. I know my brain cares about me.

A Womb With a View 

Because my brain cares,  I think of it as my Womb with a View ~a warm, caring place from which I can safely look out into the world around me and begin living each day.

Hello, Womb Service?

My Womb with a View comes with Womb Service. The little whispers causing those anxious feelings are just friendly, pre-scheduled wake up calls.

Although the messages from within are initially unnerving, they become my call to action.  I now embrace the friendly service call to 'WAKE UP!', and make a conscious choice to do something, or to do nothing and let it be.

By converting my anxiety into Womb Service, I have reframed those morning whispers from 'start-your-day-anxious and in avoidance' to 'start-your-day-calm-and-conscious'.

Deal with it!
I have an amazing young woman in my life who calls to talk about the daily happenings in her life.

It's such a pleasure to observe and listen to her as she identifies and names the problems that arise and then in short order deal with them. While she starts anxious and overwhelmed, as she talks it through she begins to lay a plan for dealing with the issues.

Recently she was extremely frustrated and agitated from major issues that all arose at one time about her cell phone, internet service and apartment. It certainly felt like the universe was conspiring against her at the very moment she needed her life to be calm so she could concentrate on her school work and job.

"I don't have time for this," she said.

"Tomorrow's another day," I replied.

"I thought you'd say that."

"Give it a rest. Trust yourself. Let your mind work on it for you overnight and see what options come to you in the morning. You'll know exactly what to do."

Sure enough, by the next morning she went to school then came home and took one action on each issue, quickly resolving the cell phone and internet service issues and collecting more information on the apartment problem so she could make a more informed decision about how to proceed.

Rather than sitting in her anxiety and feelings of helplessness she brought those negative thoughts and feelings to the surface, let her mind work off-line overnight on solutions, and turned those negative thoughts into positive, empowering actions.

Everything Is (Secretly) Okay!

I have a friend, Karen, a very successful CEO Coach who lives life fully engaged. She is amazing. She is also a worrier and full of self-doubt.

One day while visiting her I observed Karen's husband, Bill, lean over and whisper into her ear, "Karen, Everything is (Secretly) OKAY!"  It made me laugh!

I couldn't believe what a perfect message this was--not only for Karen, but for all of us. It made Karen laugh and let go ~ and it spoke to a deep truth about the foundation of worries, self-doubt and anxiety in us all. Bill says he learned this affirmation from a 10-year old kid.

Learn What You Do Want from What You Don't

When that secret worry begins to tie your stomach in knots, let it wake you up to what's bothering you and name what you fear. Begin by affirming 'everything is (secretly) okay!', then ask these questions and take action:
 
  • What  is it about the message behind my womb service I fear?
  • What do I fear will happen that I don't want to happen?
  • Name It:  What do I want  (to happen)?

"Worrying is using your imagination to create something you don't want." Abraham
 
Do you need help turning negative thoughts into positive action?
For more than 25 years, Susan Meyerott has been helping people lighten up and step over invisible barriers to change one step at a time. She speaks to your heart, puts you at ease, and makes changing easier than ever before. Contact Susan @ Lightartedsue@gmail dot com to schedule one or on-going life change coaching sessions.
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Susan, it's as if you're reading my mind! Or is it just that I'm not so different from everyone else that I think I am? Excuse me, now, while I take a deep breath and tell myself "everything is (secretly) okay!"

Cynthia K said...

Dear Susan, I woke up this morning with a lot of anixiety until I read your post. My thoughts took a U turn right away. I went back to being calm & in control of my thoughts. Now I can face the day with a new prepective. Love You!

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Jean--I must be reading your mind. You couldn't possibly be like everyone else! ;-)

Isn't it the time of year to let the steam and anxiety build up while you hibernate? I think by the 3rd week in January most people start waking up and the anxiety builds up.

I think the goal is to get just enough anxiety going to shoot you forward into positive action.

Susan J Meyerott, M.S. said...

Cynthia--
Keep taking charge of those thoughts! Be aware of the negative, anxiety-producing thoughts and chose to take one action to reduce them!

You're one strong lady! You've been through a lot--and that has strengthened you. Don't ever forget you are filled with inner strength.